Major School District Improves Services to Families and Communities While Saving More Than $1 Million Using a Digital Document Management Solution
There are more than 14,000 school districts in the United States. One public school system in Florida is among the top 200, with more than 50 schools and nearly 50,000 students. The district’s mission is to provide exceptional opportunities that motivate and engage each student, so all students will complete school prepared for ongoing learning as well as community and global responsibilities.
To manage its growing volume of student records and provide more user-friendly and responsive services, the school district transformed its century-old, paper-based document storage process into an online, digital system.
Using OpenText™ Documentum™ and OpenText Intelligent Capture, the school system adopted a document scanning and management solution to digitize paper records, store them securely, and make them easily available upon request.
The solution makes all required documents available to authorized staff at the click of a button, reduced the district’s paper storage costs by more than one million dollars, and has provided a model for other digital transformation projects across the school district.
“The digital document management solution has changed the way we work and serve our community.” – Coordinator of Operations
Benefits of the Digital Document Management System
- Eliminated $1 million in physical storage costs
- Reduced overhead for all 50-plus schools spent filing, storing, and maintaining paper documents
- Easy to meet records requests within three-day turnaround window
- Handling higher volume of documents with less manual intervention
- Staff reallocated to more productive activities
- Confidence that all required documents are provided and merged into one file for legal requests
- Parents can now register their children and complete forms online
- Auditors can now remotely search for and retrieve relevant documents based on security
- Other departments can digitize their documentation and improve their productivity through easy access to online information
Read the full case study to learn more about how the school district is using Documentum to enable digital transformation.